This is targeted at the finance and education ministers, but should also be sent to MLAs and opposition members.
- Hon. Jennifer Whiteside, Minister of Education: EDUC.email@example.com
- Hon. Selina Robinson, Minister of Finance: FIN.Minister@gov.bc.ca
To find your MLA email address: https://www.leg.bc.ca/content-committees/Pages/MLA-Contact-Information.aspx
Please consider also sending your letter to:
- Hon. John Horgan, Premier: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jackie Tegart, Official Opposition for Education: jackie.tegart.MLA@leg.bc.ca
- Mike Bernier, Official Opposition for Finance: mike.bernier.MLA@leg.bc.ca
- Shirley Bond, interim leader of the Liberal Party: shirley.bond.MLA@leg.bc.ca
- Sonia Furstenau, leader of the Green Party: sonia.furstenau.MLA@leg.bc.ca
Dear [insert politician’s name],
The lack of additional funding for education in the recently announced budget is a disappointment. Districts across the province are facing unprecedented costs coming out of the pandemic academic year of 2020/2021, coupled with halted revenue streams. As school districts are legally mandated to have a balanced budget, they are looking to cut vital programs that will irrevocably harm school cultures and the mental health of students and teachers.
In the budget, more than 3 billion dollars has been put aside as contingency funds. I urge the government to allocate a small slice of this to the school districts to stop cuts. Mental health is a priority for your government, and I cannot think of a better way to ensure the mental health of students and teachers across this province during the pandemic than having programs remain as they are, and for schools to continue being a safe and inspiring place for all students.
[name & address]